The time has finally come when we've to enrol XY for Primary school. We've not decided on Kebangsaan or Chinese school yet. And there isn't much time to dilly dally as we've to register by March. Here are the reasons why we chose a particular school :
* I'm worried I'm not able to guide her in her homework/studies as I don't read nor write Chinese. And we don't intend to send her for tuition classes (at least not in early Primary years). PaPa is Chinese literate but can't possibly wait for him to come back from work to coach her, right?
* She can still learn Chinese by sending her for extra Chinese classes. But we'll need more effort in our part to create an environment for her to learn Chinese at home, in terms of reading and writing.
* Worried that she'll have to spend an extra year in Remove Class.
* Her English is much better than Mandarin at the moment. She speaks mainly English at home. Am a bit worried she won't be able to adapt or find it hard to catch up. But I guess this point is not too significant as we can prepare her now by sending her for Chinese lessons.
* She'd have a good base in Chinese after 6 years of formal education.
* The culture is a little different. The students are more disciplined and exposed to Chinese cultures. (I wonder if it's true or it depends on the particular school.)
* I think her English standard can be maintained as I'll be speaking English with her at home.
* Even non-Chinese are sending their children to Chinese schools, so why aren't we? LOL
Have you enrolled your kids for Primary school? Whether or not you've enrolled them, or they're already in Primary school, what was the main reason you chose that school? Kindly share your thoughts.