I got these tips from Hotel Equatorial's monthly brochure which features their dining promotions. I'd like to share these baking tips on temperature, cookware, ingredients and techniques with you here.
1. Turn on the oven 10-15 minutes before you plan to use it to allow time for it to heat to baking temperature.
2. Shiny pans reflect the heat, and are your best choice for cake baking.
3. Have all ingredients at room temperature for best results.
4. To speed up the softening of cold butter, grate or thinly slice it and let stand for about 10 minutes over a bowl of warm water.
5. Toss nuts, raisins and chopped fruits in flour first. This will help keep them suspended in batters.
6. Cool the cake thoroughly before frosting.
7. Apply a thin layer of frosting to the cake then refrigerate until it is set before applying the final, heavier layer of frosting. This will seal in the crumbs, ensuring a clean final appearance.