Last Saturday, I went to see my obgyn. Did a pap smear test, breast examination, ultrasound of the breast and abdomen. Everything is normal, just have to wait for the pap smear result in a week's time. There's a new type of screening for pap smear which is computerised. You can get the result on the spot and doctor said it's slightly more accurate than the traditional screening. It's about RM100 more expensive. I didn't try that as I think the traditional one is good enough for now.
I also asked him about the cervical cancer vaccine. The hospital only carries one type (Gardasil by Merck). The cost is RM450 per jab (inclusive of consultation fees). The other one is Cervarix by GlaxoSmithKline. These are the information I got from him :
* Both for women till age 45.
* They help guard against different types of HPV (with 2 similar strains) which cause cervical cancer and genital warts. In conclusion, they have almost the same benefits.
* 3 jabs altogether (at 0, 2 and 6 months).
* If you plan to get pregnant within that period, it is not advisable to take the vaccine.
* Take the jab when you are not having your period.
* Not known when a booster jab may be needed. Further research is still on-going. (But the internet says Cervarix provides protection over a 4.5 year period.)
I am quite decided to take the vaccine. Will consult my obgyn again next month. Hopefully it's not too late. Awaiting the pap smear result... Nah... I'm sure everything would be fine. ; )